Date: 4/2/17 10:19 am
From: Alan Bruner <abbird...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] 3rd Annual West-Central Indiana Eagle Nest Survey
Yesterday, 1 April 2017, Rusty McIntyre and I conducted our third annual survey of eagle nests in West-Central Indiana.  For this survey our goal is to evaluate the progress of as many Bald Eagle nests that we can reach in 24 hours.  Our route included a total of 28 nests located in Fountain, Montgomery, Parke, Putnam, Vigo, Sullivan, Clay, and Vermillion Counties.  Of these, 23 nests were active, young were observed in the nest at six nests ( total of 8 nestlings, plus one observed a few days previous), adults behaved as though attending chicks that were not visible in eleven nests, and adults behaved as though incubating eggs (or possibly extremely small chicks) in six nests.  Four nests lacked the presence of adults or activity indicative of an active nest.  It is possible that two of these were active as we have been fooled before when an adult was virtually impossible to see in a deep nest.  Another nest could not be reached due to the access road being flooded.  An additional 19 eagles, not directly associated with a nest were observed along the route.  This includes 13 immature birds that assembled along the Wabash River near sundown, apparently preparing to roost for the night.
Other bird species were incidentally counted as we hurried from one nest to another along our 323 mile route..  The entire list is as follows:
Canada Goose - 117Wood Duck - 22Gadwall - 70American Wigeon - 8Mallard - 1   (almost missed altogether!)Blue-winged Teal - 35Northern Shoveler - 164Ring-necked Duck - 115Lesser Scaup - 130Bufflehead - 65Wild Turkey - 1Pied-billed Grebe - 26Horned Grebe - 1Double-crested Cormorant - 50Great Blue Heron - 33Great Egret - 3Turkey Vulture - 217Bald Eagle - 56Sharp-shinned Hawk - 1Cooper's Hawk - 1Red-shouldered Hawk - 5Red-tailed Hawk - 12American Kestrel - 16American Coot - 525Killdeer -8Solitary Sandpiper - 1Greater Yellowlegs - 2Lesser Yellowlegs - 5Pectoral Sandpiper - 5Rock Pigeon - 19Mourning Dove - 140Belted Kingfisher - 2Red-headed Woodpecker - 3Red-bellied Woodpecker - 10Downy Woodpecker - 4Northern Flicker - 20Pileated Woodpecker - 3Eastern Phoebe - 3Blue Jay - 4American Crow - 75Horned Lark - 17Tree Swallow - 31N. Rough-winged Swallow - 1Barn Swallow - 1Carolina Chickadee - 3Tufted Titmouse - 7White-breasted Nuthatch - 2Brown Creeper - 1Carolina Wren - 3Golden-crowned Kinglet - 1Eastern Bluebird - 14American Robin - 225Northern Mockingbird - 2Brown Thrasher - 7European Starling - 675Eastern Towhee - 2Chipping Sparrow - 46Field Sparrow - 8Savannah Sparrow - 8Song Sparrow - 37Dark-eyed Junco - 11Northern Cardinal - 45Red-winged Blackbird - 395Eastern Meadowlark - 11Common Grackle - 435Brown-headed Cowbird - 173House Finch - 5House Sparrow - 27
Alan BrunerMarshall, <INabbird...>

Join us on Facebook!