Date: 4/2/17 7:46 am
From: Joseph Kennedy <josephkennedy36...>
Subject: [texbirds] Thursday shorebird and duck pictures from Bolivar and Anahuac
Crossed the ferry for sunrise but had to stay in the car as there was a lot
of spray or more accurately sheets of water over the boat. First good bird
seen was my friend the whimbrels who was on his little patch of mud that he
has used for several years. The books all tout the stripe through the top
of the head a good field mark but it can be hard to see
http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218319

But a friendly bird will show off the stripe if asked

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218313

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218316

A nearby mottled duck was feeding more like a shoveler chugging along and
straining the water as it went.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218321

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218323

But had to stop and swallow

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218323

Out on the beach at bolivar flats the drive down to the bollards and
walking until around the bend had the roosting birds really buffeted by the
wind. Most were hunkered down behind clumps like this snowy plover

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218332

This piping plover found gulfweed for shelter

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218329

Birds that went out of their shelter were buffeted

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218328

There were more than 200 piping plovers out there with lots of bands.
However the birds all faced into the wind which left the left leg hidden
and the left leg is where the numbered flag is attached. And the birds were
puffed up so the upper leg with the flag was not even visible.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218333

In other cases birds hid behind birds

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218330

And when I could see a flag, it was not readable

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218338

But there was one bird that cooperated.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218340

Least terns were in but the caracara and a peregrine had them mainly seen
while fleeing

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218361

A few sat and one bird even arrived with a fish

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218363

A little group of female lesser scaup were sleeping among the plovers and
shorebirds

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218371

A couple stood but immediately laid back down

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218372

One stayed a little alert but the others had the eyes hidden

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218373

Gull-billed terns were in and paired

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218389

One started hacking

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218385

More enthusiastically

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218386

And here came the fish bone ball very much like pellets from owls and hawks

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218387

Its a good sized lump

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218388

Checked the royal terns for red-billed birds but found none but they are in
fine plumage

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218391

A male Wilson's plover was very territorial and chattery along a section of
beach where the Wednesday storm did not reach the vegetation line

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218392

It had been banded nearby last summer

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218394

A young white-tailed hawk was migrating? west along the road and had a odd
wing shape

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218397

While a white-tailed kite was on guard for its nest

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218398

The common gallinules at Anahuac were starting to be territorial but were
easily diverted if they saw food

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218432

Anahuac also had my only red-tailed hawk for the day

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218434

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218437

While poking around on some backroads, I pulled over the side to let a
fedex delivery truck pass. Then noticed a killdeer standing just across the
road

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218439

It wasn't until I got home that I noticed that it was standing over eggs. I
think my subconscious had noted the puffed up belly feathers but did not
tell me at the time.

http://www.pbase.com/joseph_kennedy_36/image/165218438

Lots of birds appear to be nesting early thanks to the warm spring which
does make up for the utter lack of migrants.

--
Joseph C. Kennedy
on Buffalo Bayou in West Houston

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds