Date: 4/2/17 6:43 am
From: john kendall <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Upper Kankakee River/Kosciusko Co. 4/1/17 Brewer's Blackbirds, Yellowlegs & Bonaparte's Gulls
I  made a trek from Kankakee FWA to Kingsbury, including old Shamrock Sod Farm and Dick Blythe areas in the morning, birding with Ken Brock's group at Kankakee FWA.
Highlights were 3 Brewer's Blackbirds at the Sod Farm, 200+ Lesser Yellowlegs at multiple locations and Dunlin.  There is currently good to great shorebird habitat from the recent rains. We seem due for a Ruff or better.
The wet spot across from Sprig O'Mint golf course west of Bremen held numerous shorebirds (more pecs and yellowlegs) and a few Bonies, although there is little room to pull off of US 6, with birds distant from the westbound lane location that I chose.
As I arrived home, a personal location record 66 Bonaparte's Gulls were preparing to roost on Big Chapman Lake amidst a flotilla that included numerous Pied-billed & Horned Grebes and RB Mergansers.

Details are on ebird.

John Kendall
Warsaw, IN/Bethune Beach, FL

Join us on Facebook!