Date: 4/2/17 6:20 am
From: Ryan Tomazin <wvwarblers...>
Subject: Wash-Beaver-Allegheny Birding - Louisiana Waterthrushes, Brown Thrashers and more
All,

Decided to stay closer to home to bird yesterday, and despite the cold damp morning, there were plenty of birds to be seen.

Bald Knob area - this area is so depressing and aggravating that I'm considering never going back. But then, where does one go...:

Eastern Meadowlark - 6 at the Truck Stop, including 4 in flight together

Field Sparrow - yes, they do exist...2 at the Truck Stop (and a total of 6 on the day)

Horned Lark - 12 at the Truck Stop, hiding until I got ready to put away the scope

Brown-headed Cowbird - Potato Garden Road

Common Raven - above Solar Drive, for a moment in the company of an immature Red-tail

The main pond held 2 Mallards and a hybrid cross. Nothing else.

Moody Road:

Main ponds held nothing.

Ring-necked Duck - 2M and 4F in one of the new ponds behind houses in the Maronda development on the right

Raccoon Creek SP lower lake area (nearer the dam):

LOUISIANA WATERTHRUSH - 2 males counter-singing, though a bit early for that. On the road that goes below the dam and around. LOWAs were heard just past the pines

Golden-crowned Kinglet - same as " "

Osprey - working the area around the dam. Only saw one

Common Merganser - 1M and 2F on the lower lake

Ring-billed Gull - one working the dam area

Pied-billed Grebe - two to the left of the beach area

Brown Creeper - singing along the road before picnic area east

Raccoon Creek SP Office Feeders (already reported)

Hillman State Park:

Red-breasted Nuthatch - 1-2 in the pines along Five Points Road

Eastern Phoebe - 2 in the pines in the same area as the RBNUs, both using their quiet chip. There is no habitat for them anywhere near there, so I don't know what they were doing there, besides eating

PINE WARBLER - 95% sure (the epic amount of noise from a group of 10+ mountain bike riders made it impossible to hear my own voice, let alone a warbler). It was in those same pines, and was singing an interesting song where the first half was a typical fast song, and the second half slowed down to a typical slower song. But the timbre was right, and definitely not a Yellow-rump.

BROWN THRASHER - 2 males counter-singing in the field on the south side of Old Steubenville Pike from Haul Road. They were right along the path, close to the parking lot.

In addition, throughout the travels:

Northern Mockingbird - 2

Chipping Sparrow - many

Eastern Towhee - ever-present