Date: 4/2/17 6:16 am
From: Stephanie Wagner <sewsings328...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Salamonie - Stockbridge Audubon
Nine members traveled to Salamonie SRA on Saturday, April 1. The day
started with overcast skies and cold temperatures in the 30s making birding
somewhat challenging in the less than perfect light. None the less we
managed to spend 2 hours traveling between Huntington and the Salamonie Dam
starting our day with 43 species along the way. Once at the Salamonie Dam
we added our best bird of the day, a Pine Warbler trilling from the woods
at the Overlook parking lot. Thanks to John Winnebrenner's car for
offering assistance to a family new to the area who were low on gas. While
he guided the family to the nearest gas station the rest of the party
headed to the State Forest and Hominy Ridge. The sun eventually made its
appearance as our party was reunited and the forest was alive with the
calls of Golden Crowned Kinglets. We enjoyed the Kinglet show well into
our afternoon hike. At the Interpretive Center we enjoyed up close looks
from a very accomodating male Purple Finch and ended the day with 60
species.

Our list:
On the Road traveling:

Canada Goose
Mallard
Wood Duck
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle
Cooper's Hawk
Red-tailed Hawk
Killdeer
Rock Dove
Mourning Dove
Red-bellied Woodpecker
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
American Kestral
Eastern Phoebe
Blue Jay
American Crow
Horned Lark
Carolina Chickadee
Tufted Titmouse
White-breasted Nuthatch
Brown Creeper
Carolina Wren
Golden-crowned Kinglet
Eastern Bluebird
American Robin
Brown Thrasher
European Starling
Eastern Towhee
American Tree Sparrow
Chipping Sparrow
Field Sparrow
Song Sparrow
White-throated Sparrow
Dark-eyed Junco
Northern Cardinal
Red-winged Blackbird
Eastern Meadowlark
Common Grackle
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Finch
House Sparrow

Salamonie Dam Road and Overlook Highlights
Bald Eagle 6
Pine Warbler

Salamonie State Forest at Hominy Ridge
Wood Duck