Date: 4/1/17 9:45 pm
From: L Fandrei <in-bird-l...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] (Lake) Gibson Woods, Lake Etta County Park
I walked all trails today at Gibson Woods, much of which is currently under water, as the swales are flooded over.  Enjoyed the walk and found a couple of FOY birds: Yellow-rumped Warblers, Hermit Thrush, Lincoln Sparrow, and Field Sparrow.  I also went over to Lake Etta County Park to see if the Red-breasted Mergansers were still there.  They were. Some were quite cooperative and I was able to get a couple of decent pictures of them.  https://www.flickr.com/photos/lafandrei1/
I forgot to report on Wednesday (3/29) that Joy, Kim and I played hookie for a bit from the Nature Center and did a little birding.  We saw 43 Red-breasted Mergansers at Lake Etta along with 1 Greater Scaup and 1Pied-billed Grebe.  Heading North on Clark St, in the wetland south of the Little Calumet River we saw 2 FOY Great Egrets and several FOY Tree Swallows.
For those in the Lake County area, Joy Bower will conduct the annual Woodcock Watch at Oak Ridge Prairie, Griffith at 7:30 pm on Wednesday, April 5. Please call Gibson Woods at 844-3188 for registration.
Gibson Woods Nature Preserve 4/1Yellow-rumped Warbler-3 FOYLincoln Sparrow-1FOYField Sparrow-3 FOYHermit Thrush-7 FOYWoodcock-1First one I've seen at GW since I've worked there (3 years) FOY on 3/26 by a visitor to GWFox Sparrow-15Swamp Sparrow-2Song Sparrow-12American Tree SparrowsGolden-crowned Kinglet-6StarlingEastern Phoebe-15American Robin-everywhereN CardinalsN Flicker-7Downy Woodpecker-2Red-bellied Woodpecker-1Mallard-2Canada Geese-2Red-shouldered Hawk-1Red-tailed Hawk-1Ring-billed Gull-6Black-capped Chickadee-8White-breasted Nuthatch-10Brown Creeper-3Red-winged BlackbirdsAmerican Crow-4Dark-eyed JuncosCommon GracklesMourning Dove-2Bluebird-1 singing
Lake Etta County Park 4/1Kingfisher-1 FOYCanada Geese-28Ring Billed Gulls-38Red-breasted Merganser-36Pied-billed Grebe-1Great-Blue Heron-1 (reported by Rick Welton)
Grant St. Marsh 4/1 (Met Rick Welton there)Killdeer-4Tree Swallows-5Swamp Sparrow-1Song Sparrow-3Canada GeeseRing-billed GullsAmerican Coots-many, many hundreds (too lazy to count Matt's thousands)Mallard-2Scaup species -1
Loyce FandreiHighland, IN

Join us on Facebook!