Date: 4/1/17 7:12 pm
From: Jared Del Rosso <jared.delrosso...>
Subject: [cobirds] West Arapahoe Co. Birding
Battling a cold, I spent most of the rainy morning and early afternoon
birding a few spots in Centennial & Greenwood Village in west Arapahoe Co.
I started at Marjorie Perry Nature Preserve, where I birded the western
side of the preserve. Near its entrance, I heard then spotted a few singing
White-crowned Sparrows. A short time later, I watched what I think was a
late-Northern Shrike (first winter?) pursue and miss a Say's Phoebe near
the duckiest of the preserve's three ponds. It then watched the brush for a
time, before dropping in, disappearing, and popping back up seemingly
empty-handed.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-OoAVFKLb418/WOBVChC7GdI/AAAAAAAANho/N1FG3zU65ugVcdb7AprkJrUlE6EeqHkSACLcB/s1600/DSC_0387%2BNOSH.jpg>

Also of note were two Mourning Doves, my first at the preserve since
October.

From Marjorie Perry, I headed home and picked up my dog. We then headed to
Blackmer Lake by Kent Denver School, where we had our first Tree Swallows
of the year. Flagged by eBird was a Ruby-crowned Kinglet, foraging with a
pair of Bushtits. A return trip to bird the eastern half of Marjorie Perry
yielded our first Lincoln's Sparrow of the year and what I presume is a
newly arrived, third Say's Phoebe. (Two have been by the duck pond for
about a week and a half. This one was on the opposite end of the preserve.)

We rounded up the morning at Willow Spring Open Space, where we walked the
northern and eastern edges. A singing Western Meadowlark was a pleasant
surprise. So too was a Sage Thrasher running through the grass and
sagebrush with robins, one of which had striking white feathers near the
middle of both wings. An early Vesper Sparrow, another Say's Phoebe, and a
few more Mourning Doves were more welcome signs of spring.

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-7ulJUyiObQ4/WOBdi8mxZhI/AAAAAAAANh4/6vlX0FY7ZZElos_uM6VRxRTjzn6m82vDACLcB/s1600/DSC_0512%2BSATH.jpg>

- Jared Del Rosso

Centennial, CO