Date: 4/1/17 4:55 pm
From: Glenn Walbek, Castle Rock, CO <juncos...>
Subject: Re: [cobirds] Burrowing Owls and security guards, Adams county
I just read the ABA has implemented 'sanctuary hot spots', where birders
can bird freely without fear of intimidation, deportation, or ID
questioning. Below is a partial list of these hot spots..
Walden PondsBaseline ReservoirGregory CanyonValmont ReservoirGreenlee
Preserve
Glenn WalbekCastle Rock, CO

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROIDOn Apr 1, 2017 12:50 PM,
'Norm Lewis' via Colorado Birds <cobirds...> wrote:

I understand, and this why I encourage other birders not to let
themselves be pushed around for no particular good reason. I make
it a point never to pass a "private property" sign, to cross
fences or enter anywhere that says "keep out". However, I find
that more and more I am being harrassed for being in areas which
appear have public access. "Golf Cart Boy" out at Latham once
called the sheriff on me (he did it while I was standing there, so
I know he actually did it; I overheard the conversation). I just
stood there while he yelled at me that I was ignoring him, to
which I replied, "Yep". He left, but I waited around for the
authorities, who of course never appeared. They probably got a
good laugh out of his report of a miscreant birder. Anyway, if law
enforcement gives me a valid reason way I should vacate an area,
vacate I will. Yesterday's "officer" (who must have looking
desperately for a reason to justify her existence) just sputtered
about "DIA" and "private property" and really had no good reason
why I should leave the area.That's probably enough on this
subject. Please obey all property signs and follow the ABA Code of
Ethics. But I submit that there is no reason why birders should be
bullied just because we have a reputation for being rather
passive.

Norm LewisLakewood, CO