Date: 4/1/17 4:26 pm
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Eagle Marsh Tundra Swans-- April 1, 2017 PM
I checked some local areas on the way home from work (3:15-4:15), noting the swans first reported by Greg Majewski in Eagle Marsh's west end.  They were still in the far basin, east of the pump road, and my impression from my distant, old-scope looks was Tundra Swan (more rounded head; bill seemed fairly separated from eye; seemingly not as bulky as resident Mute Swans).  They were apparently doing some sort of courtship thing, with both birds intermittently nodding their heads up and down in an exaggerated fashion.  When I thought to myself, "Are these just Tundras?", both birds nodded "yes", so that clinched it.  ;-)

By the time I got back an hour later for my new-scope looks, the birds had moved to the near basin south of the scout lot, allowing super looks in great light.  I noted these: fairly rounded head; eye fairly well separated from bill; feather border where forehead meets bill was rounded, not V-shaped; and a small but definite bit of yellow on the bill of one bird (which I believe Greg was able to capture in a photo).  Though Trumpeter Swan would've been a new species for the property, I still enjoyed getting good looks at this FOS species.

Otherwise, I had a few other things at my various stops, most notably:

Mute Swan- 1 at Serv-All
Blue-winged Teal- small numbers of shoveler and both teal species at several stops
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck- 8 at basin south of water utility
Lesser Scaup- 7 at Towpath Trailhead
Pied-billed Grebe- 9 together in one Eagle Marsh pool north of Engle Road
Horned Grebe- 1 sleeping bird at Towpath Trailhead
Double-crested Cormorant- 18; 2 at west end; "only" 16 at Serv-All
American Kestrel- 1 male at west end
Tree Swallow- a few here and there

Rodger Rang
Fort Wayne