Date: 4/1/17 2:42 pm
From: Ben S <benrmnp...>
Subject: [cobirds] Towhee ID help wanted

In my yard in Centennial (Arapahoe County), Spotted Towhees are a regular
bird. A few days back, I noticed a female Spotted Towhee it seemed with an
orange cap. This is the same place that a Green-tailed Towhee would have an
orange cap. It led me to speculate the bird may be a Green-tailed Towhee x
Spotted Towhee hybrid. Anyway, the bird came back today. It seems to have
paired with a pure male Spotted, as they are always seen together. Adding
to the possibility, I have had several Green-tailed Towhees in my yard in
May as well as in the fall. Anyway, I noticed she was noticibly smaller
than the definite pure spotted. The orange cap, again was obvious. The bird
was lighter gray than the male, probably just gender dimorphism, but I
don't know. I looked through my field guides. Female Spotted definetly
should not have a orange cap. However, one field guide depicted an immature
Spotted Towhee as having an orange cap. If this is a hybrid, I'm thinking
it is like one part Green-tailed to five Spotted. Anyway, here are some
photos. Someone please tell me if it is a hybrid or if I am getting excited
over a regular old immature Spotted Towhee. All help appreciated.

Ben Sampson
Centennial, CO

<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-z74NlkpRm-M/WOAek1Z6xtI/AAAAAAAAFdY/YIsH92Q3-QEkRZkqrmAdJKvlJZcKx154ACLcB/s1600/DSCF5377.JPG>
<https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-TAHizlqCRW4/WOAeGoYlZcI/AAAAAAAAFdM/lU-9kNMO15Yn2Yil39EpWmVSTftVnqasgCLcB/s1600/DSCF5363.JPG>