Date: 4/1/17 1:43 pm
From: Patrick O'Driscoll <patodrisk...>
Subject: [cobirds] Yellow-bellied sapsucker in Denver City Park
A male YBSA was observed at about 11:30 a.m.. Saturday in conifers just
southwest of the tennis courts on the west side of the park. We watched it
making neat rows of sap wells in a medium-tall pine. We spotted it while
looking at a well-hidden red-tailed hawk on an enormous nest near the top
of one of the tall old conifers on the west side. The RTHA''s apparent
mate, with classic screeching call, flew in from the Catholic church spires
at 23rd Avenue and York at the park's northwest tip to perch briefly in the
treetop above the nest.

These sightings were near the end of a DFO field trip meant to observe the
colonial waterbird nesting sites in Duck and Ferril lakes. We counted more
than 425 double-crested cormorants in the Duck Lake island trees and two
black-crowned night-herons, the first two in City Park this season, on the
island ground,. Still no BCNH's or snowy egrets yet on the Ferril Lake
island site.

Although it was cold to start, the predicted rain and snow never
materialized, allowing our small group of 4 to record other good birds
among 30 species total. Highlights included a female Cooper's hawk on a
newly built nest south of Ferril Lake (first seen building the nest last
Sunday) 2 ruby-crowned kinglets in the "pinetum" of conifers on the slope
below the south end of the Denver Museum of Nature & Science, a handsome
male cinnamon teal on Ferril Lake, and a great blue heron that perched for
a short while atop one of the trees at the high-occupancy Duck Lake
cormorant rookery.

Patrick O'Driscoll
Denver