Date: 4/1/17 10:33 am
From: JimC <jimcancil...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Swallow's nest
Last year, for the first time in 25, we had swallows nesting under the overhang of our front porch. It made this mud castle atop a motion detector - it was the only 'outcropping' on the back wall. What you see is some pretty neat engineering. (we also like the Thrush nests out front of our pasture)

This year I have made some 'cedar ledges' to hopefully attract and contain another round of swallows. Duck boxes, bat boxes, bluebird houses, owl boxes all seem to attract residents. Purple Martins have been difficult as the Starlings beat them to the lodgings and are nearly impossible to police.

Jim - 12mi W. of Salisbury