Date: 4/1/17 9:51 am
From: Fred Shaffer <glaucousgull...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Black-headed Gull continues at Back River
I kayaked from Cox Point to Diamond Point along the Back River this morning.  I saw one (or possibly two) Black-headed Gulls today, although my views were much more fleeting. Since the views were so widely spaced (time wise), it was hard to tell if I was seeing the same gull or multiple birds. But, my first view of a Black-headed Gull was in flight near the outfall/pier for the WWTP.  The second view was another brief view of a flying bird near Diamond Point.  And, the last view was as the wind and the current swept me past a group of Bonaparte's Gulls on the water, the breeding plumage Black-headed Gull was again briefly seen, this time on the water.  I also tallied 791 Bonaparte's Gulls.  But, no Little Gulls were present.  Other birds included lots of Ruddy Ducks and Double-crested Cormorants, two Hooded Mergansers, 10 Shovelers, a few Osprey and Bald Eagle, and my first Barn Swallow of the year (with Tree Swallows).
Fred ShafferGlaucousGull@verizon,netCrofton, MD