Date: 4/1/17 9:30 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (29 Mar 2017) 46 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 46 354 354

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:30:00
Total observation time: 6.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Kathleen Pileggi, Walter Borys

Visitors:
SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (63): Kathleen Pileggi, Walter Borys, Amanda Meltz, Anne Stabb,
Becky Meister, Howard Campbell, Evelyn & Mike Fowls, Rick Casey, plus the
Chester Charter School for the Arts group of 53.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Sunny (0% cloud cover), Temps 47-57F, Winds NNW at 10-20 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 1-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (20) and Turkey Vultures (65).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-0; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-0; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ The Chester Charter School for the Arts was here this fine
day with an even finer group of second graders, numbering over fifty.
These children were so cute, many unfortunately, with little experience in
nature. A couple of youngsters even were concerned about running into
Wolves or Alligators on this field trip. I sure hope a love for nature
will take flight for some, ignited with this experience at Bucktoe.
No wolves or gators came by….only a few Red-tails, Red-shouldered and lots
of both Vultures. The kids were terrific! But as great as they were, the
sky was that brutal. We had 3, count them, three clouds all day and they
were tiny wisps vanishing in seconds into the vast tranquil blue.
“Hey kids!’ I say. “Look up there there’s a Red-shouldered Hawk! It’s
right there in the blue kids….LOOK!! See it? No???” I can’t understand
why. Try lining 50 plus kids, many without binoculars, up with a bird in a
sea of blue. You feel my pain? lol
Mike & Evelyn came by. Seeing the throng, they chickened out….you were
seen Mike & Evelyn! Maybe you forgot your coffee at Wawa? I’ve done that!
Thanks Walter, Amanda and Anne. You were a tremendous help at this
special event! Your presence was essential to the event’s success. We
look forward to the return of this class next year and many new classes.
<BR><BR>
I wrote the following to the organizers of the event:
<BR><BR>
You never know what little tidbit of the entire experience at Bucktoe might
reach someone....touch them somehow. One thing I remember from my youth
was simply taking a walk, hearing rustling in the leaves. Curious and
grabbing my parent's trusty OLD binoculars, tracking down the sound's
origin to discover what I would later determine (with my first field guide,
a Reed) to be a feeding flock of White-throated Sparrows (my first) kicking
leaf litter around the winter landscape (hence, the sound), searching for
food. That place from my childhood exists now, only in my memory - now and
forever more a development. How sad....
<BR><BR>
Maybe for some child there on Wednesday's field trip, there "tidbit" will
be one of those Turkey Vultures teetering on the wind - never flapping
once, yet traveling so far. Maybe another's will be just the magnificent
nature of the place...beautiful Bucktoe. Yet another may wonder just who
this ‘fool’ out here is and why is he counting hawks? And just why there
isn't more places like this? Why this is the first time they're out to see
something like this? Why isn't this experience more readily available,
easily available to everyone? Maybe just, why?
<BR><BR>
Who's curiosity did we arouse this day? Who there will someday become a
senator (or higher) and introduce legislation to save places like Bucktoe?
Who will go on to become a nature writer, inspiring those yet to come?
Someone there may very well impact our grandchildren. Just who?
<BR><BR>
The first two Butterfly species of the watch were two Eastern Commas and a
Cabbage White. An additional unidentified species (an early American
Lady?) was briefly seen.
After the kids left, we took Amanda along the Red Clay Creek to show her a
bit more of the Preserve. On our walk around the meadow, we discovered
newly emerging Ramp in the woods along the Red Clay Creek. My breathe bore
the evidence of the bit of leaf I sampled. Can its pungent onion/garlic
taste in a special salad for me be far off? I think not…
Our weekly Sunday walks start THIS Sunday at 8am, with me leading it, so I
will be a bit late to get to the Watch site, but come join the walk.
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Killdeer, 2-Ring-billed Gull, 2-Eastern
Towhee, 4-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (2): Cabbage White, Eastern Comma.
Dragonflies (0); Reptiles & Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.49; Steps: 12,880; Floors:
23.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 44; this season: 78
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks less crowded than today
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: