Date: 4/1/17 7:18 am
From: Christian Walker <christian.walker...>
Subject: [texbirds] St. Edwards Park, Austin TX - Hooded Warbler
Hey there,
I went birding at St. Edward’s Park in NW Austin yesterday morning before work. Golden-cheeked Warblers were singing in multiple locations, and almost immediately heard a warbler chipping in the brush right by the main parking lot. It sounded a bit like a waterthrush chip, but not as bright and sharp. I went into the bushes as best I could and got good brief looks at a male Hooded Warbler. A little surprising to see this on the west side of town.
Also found nesting Cooper’s Hawks, a singing Blue-headed Vireo, and heard-only Winter Wren, Nashville Warblers, and Black-and-white Warblers.
There was a leucistic male Norther Cardinal that looked just like a Pyrrhuloxia in pattern, but still had a large orange bill and cardinal shape.

Good birding,

Christian Walker
Independent Adjuster
Irving, Texas
(512) 431-2495

St. Edwards Pk (NW Austin), Travis, Texas, US
Mar 31, 2017 7:01 AM - 8:21 AM
Protocol: Traveling
0.5 mile(s)
Comments: Clear calm around 50 degrees
24 species (+2 other taxa)

Great Blue Heron 3 Flying high together
Black Vulture 10
Cooper's Hawk 2 Found nest
White-winged Dove 1
Ruby-throated/Black-chinned Hummingbird 1
White-eyed Vireo 8
Blue-headed Vireo 1
American Crow 4
Carolina Chickadee 1
Tufted x Black-crested Titmouse (hybrid) 3
Winter Wren 1 Singing across creek
Carolina Wren 6
Bewick's Wren 2
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher 8
Ruby-crowned Kinglet 4
Cedar Waxwing 15
Black-and-white Warbler 1 HO
Nashville Warbler 2 HO
Hooded Warbler 1 Male calling bright chip call. Not as sharp as waterthrush which I thought it might be at first. Followed sound into thicket and got brief visual of yellow warbler close to ground with full black hood and white in tail. Flicked/flashes tail while foraging so that I was able to see the white in the retrices. In thickets by main parking area
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle) 1
Golden-cheeked Warbler 5
White-throated Sparrow 5
Lincoln's Sparrow 1
Northern Cardinal 12 Including one leucistic male that looks just like a PYRR
House Finch 1
Lesser Goldfinch 3

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35556231

http://www.freelists.org/list/texbirds