Date: 3/31/17 11:14 pm
From: Richard <birdertoo...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Cherry Creek Reservoir & Rocky Mountain Arsenal
Hello cobirders;

We had to go to Aurora, CO today for traffic court (I was framed!), got some birding in afterwards.

Few birds moved around Cherry Creek Reservoir (Arapahoe), although, Black-billed Magpies were in high numbers.

I try not to report unidentified birds, however. We observed a bird fly from the model airplane field to the surrounding high grasses that appeared to be a Sagebrush Sparrow. The bird was not relocated in the following 45 minutes. We do not have time to return tomorrow; perhaps someone else will find it?

Reminder: Many of the Sagebrush Sparrows found at Chatfield Reservoir (Jefferson/Douglas) are seen after a spring snowstorm. The storm is rolling in here at midnight. Regrettably, we will not have time to get down there Saturday.

A Common Loon in sharp looking breeding plumage was on Lower Derby Lake in the Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County). The majority bird was Northern Shovelers with a few Lesser Scaup and two Double-crested Cormorants.

Two Lesser Black-backed Gulls were among sixty+ Ring-billed, two California and one Herring Gulls.

Sometime after last Sunday, they did a controlled burn at Lake Ladora. The lake had to be drained first but is refilling now. I forgot to ask the ranger how deep the two lakes are. They cannot be very deep; fisherperson's walk far off shore at Lake Ladora.

We drove the new wildlife self-driving tour. Burrowing Owls were found in two locations: just south of the turn onto 88th avenue (north of mile 5.0) and near the intersection of Havana & 88th avenue (mile 7.0).

Fifty or so Bison were resting on the road at 72nd avenue & Yosemite Street. They are massive impressive animals!

Continued enjoyment of nature and birding!

Directions to birding spots and maps on CoBus website:
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

Richard Stevens; Director, Colorado Birding Society
Denver, Colorado
Contact CoBus/Report Interesting Birds: 303-324-7994
Subscribe to "cobirders" by sending blank email to:
<cobirders-subscribe...>
Read "cobirders" at: