Date: 3/31/17 8:32 pm
From: Walt Chambers <chambersw...>
Subject: [GABO-L] 10 Glossy Ibis @ Bradley Unit - 3/31 and other west-central notes this week
Hit the Eufaula NWR Bradley Unit today for the first time since the CBC...at the crack of 12:30p..the wind had already started to pick up...not a ton of FOTY stuff there today, but a solid outing anyway. As far as the expected stuff for early spring... Plenty of Little Blue Herons, Snow Egrets, Great Blue Herons, and Great Egrets were getting nests under way at the rookery on the main pond with the pump house... but not big numbers yet... I heard 3-4 King Rails sound off as well as a pair of Soras. No signs of Boat-tailed Grackles..hopefully later. There were a pair of male Ring-necked Ducks in this area as well. Most of the action however, was in the pond on the north side of the cross dike east of the silos. Waterfowl was represented by about 100 Blue-winged Teal, 1 fem Northern Shoveler, 1 fem American Wigeon, and 1 fem Hooded Merganser. Shorebirds included 30 Wilson's Snipe, 10 Pectoral Sandpipers, and 14 Least Sandpipers. There was a group of waders foraging in the NW corner of the pond including Great and Snowy Egrets, 4-5 White Ibis, and 10 Glossy Ibis. Recall that several Glossy's incredibly bred here last year. 2 of the birds today were courting, so it wouldn't surprise me if there's a repeat performance this year.

I then headed to WF George Dam in Clay Co. Below the dam was a single American White Pelican among about 100 Ring-billed Gulls.. nothing much above the dam in the lake.

Other stuff from the week in west-central GA included:

3/27 - Mason Jarrett and I had a foty Prothonotary Warbler and Swainson's Warbler at Oxbow Meadows in south Columbus, a new early date for the property for the latter. I had a single hen Wild Turkey there yesterday (rare there).

3/28 - I tried a crack at Dowdell's Knob on the Pine Mountain ridge.. Nothing much yet .. several Black-and-white Warblers and 1 Yellow-throated Vireo..that was it.. I then swung over to West Point Dam... a few Common Loons were the only thing noted.

3/30 - Marshallville- Tried all 3 farms around the town.. nada .. the farm on Juice Plant Rd has a drainage pond that had 1 snipe and a Tree Swallow.. not much else between them..

Green Heron (Mason) and Great Crested Flycatcher have shown up in Columbus this week as well..

C'mon spring...

Walt Chambers

Columbus

Send regular postings to <gabo-l...>