Date: 3/31/17 6:11 pm
From: Mark J. Greenfield <markgreenfield...>
Subject: [obol] Lost Lagoon Farm Bird List for March 16-31
Below is my bird list for Lost Lagoon Farm, Gillihan Road, Sauvie Island, for the second half of March, 2017. The number of identified species increased substantially over the 49-52 species identified during the three previous half-month periods beginning February 1. This is due in large measure to arrivals of migrants. First of year dates are noted in parenthesis. On March 16 alone, I counted 38 species. Most of our winter birds are still around, although we are seeing juncos in smaller numbers. Robins have arrived in large numbers, and tree and violet-green swallows are choosing nesting sites among the three dozen or more houses on our neighbor’s property and ours. I took the purple martin gourds down to keep the swallows out of them. We continue to see 2-4 dozen sandhill cranes on most days, and lots of golden-crowned sparrows. However, large numbers of geese have left the area.

Great blue heron
Sandhill crane
Canada goose
Cackling goose