Date: 3/31/17 12:36 pm
From: David Matson <wrenpt...>
Subject: [Va-bird] Hairy Woodpecker
All,

We live on coastal marsh, with a substantial grove of pines, with a few
hardwoods mixed in, Horse Sugar, azaleas, mountain laurel, lots of holly,
at the junction of the Nansemond and James Rivers.

I mention the setting, for the second time since 1993, I, today, saw Hairy
Woodpecker (it's there now) in the yard: it's feeding on the suet.

*****

This is a good year for woodpeckers in our yard: Downy, Red-bellied, Y-b
Sapsucker, Pileated, Flicker and, now, Hairy.

During the 34 years, I have not seen Red-headed within five miles of our
home.

‚Äč____

My mother said I was a blockhead, so, fortunately, I am inside and the
woodpeckers cannot create nesting holes in what likely otherwise might be a
reasonable target site.

Best.

David Matson

--