Date: 3/31/17 7:21 am
From: Tim Carney <timmyc83...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Poplar Island 3/30/2017
The highlight of yesterday's census was an ICELAND GULL in a large gull flock. Inflow was occurring at several points across the site, which attracted thousands of gulls in addition to the existing Herring/Great Black-backed colonies. There were about 2,500 "new" gulls drawn to the inflow and nearly all were young Herring Gulls. I was surprised to see an Iceland Gull but no obvious Lesser Black-backed in these flocks.

The Iceland Gull was originally observed in Cell 4ABC and later observed in Cell 1D. It is possible these were two separate birds, but my photos don't show enough plumage differences to confirm one way or the other.

Also of note:

Blue-winged Teal pr
Horned Grebe 121 (not exceptional onsite, but cool to see so many!)
Virginia Rail 1
American Oystercatcher pr
Short-eared Owl 4

eBird checklist: http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35556845