Date: 3/31/17 6:35 am
From: Nick Bolgiano <nickbolgiano...>
Subject: Tussey Mt update
We counted 111 golden eagles last week, our third highest one-week total,
after 133 in both 2010 and 2015. The peak golden eagle period was the
latest we have documented, which is not intuitive given the recent mild
winter. With 171 golden eagles counted to date, we are on pace to record at
least an average number (16-year average=182, 10-year average=194) and
possibly reach 200 (i.e. Jon Kauffman territory, his totals when counter
were 200, 201, 201). Our golden eagle sightings have leveled off to a few
per day. See attached chart.

In the last 10 days, migration of other raptors, particularly accipiters,
red-shouldered hawks, red-tailed hawks, and kestrels, has significantly
increased. The first osprey was on Wednesday. The 751 raptors by the end of
March is typical. We count the largest number in April.

We typically see our first broad-winged hawk during the first week of
April, with larger numbers starting around April 10. Historically,
broad-wings are our most numerous migrant raptor.

Nick Bolgiano

Join us on Facebook!