Date: 3/30/17 7:35 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: BREAKING NEWS
Hi -

I think the eastern form is a likely vagrant to Oregon, so it would be good for us to brush up on how to tell them apart.  According to the Dunn and Garrett warbler guide, eastern bird have greener backs, and underparts not so bright yellow but more extensive (western have more white around the vent).  Songs are distinguishable, but we may be likely to get non-singing migrants.

Wayne
On 3/30/2017 6:46:37 PM, Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...> wrote:
_

I recall rumblings of the Nashville Warbler split about ten years ago. Gabrielson and Jewett had the subspecies "Calaveras Warbler" in Birds of Oregon. I believe the Mark Twain short story was titled "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calavereas County."
On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Joel Geier wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Thanks Mike for posting the list of proposals. It's fascinating that all
> of the discussion here on OBOL so far has focused on gulls.
>
> I was personally most intrigued by Ralph Browning's proposal to split
> Nashville Warbler into Calaveras" Warbler and Rusty-capped" Warbler, and
> his dry comment on the latter, "Although the name does not differentiate
> it from some other species, the name Nashville is even less useful."
>
> For sheer fussiness, it's hard to top the proposal to change Le Conte's
> Sparrow and Thrasher to LeConte's Sparrow and Thrasher, respectively.
> This is surely the most momentous proposal to come before the committee
> since the one that gave us Harris's Sparrow in place of Harris' Sparrow.
>
> Anyway this certainly added to the enjoyment of listening to a Nearctic
> Creeper as it sang at Luckiamute State Natural Area this afternoon.
>
> Happy birding,
> Joel
>
> --
> Joel Geier