Date: 3/30/17 7:27 pm
From: Joel Geier <joel.geier...>
Subject: [obol] Re: BREAKING NEWS
Yes, Twain's story, "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County,"
is indeed named after the same locale as the proposed warbler species.

I've also heard that the issue of Thayer's vs. Iceland Gulls is resolved
definitively at the end of another great short story by Twain from that
period, which also relates the story of Jim Blaine's encounter with his
grandfather's old ram.

On Thu, 2017-03-30 at 18:45 -0700, Lars Per Norgren wrote:

> _
>
> I recall rumblings of the Nashville Warbler split about ten years ago. Gabrielson and Jewett had the subspecies "Calaveras Warbler" in Birds of Oregon. I believe the Mark Twain short story was titled "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calavereas County."
> On Mar 30, 2017, at 4:17 PM, Joel Geier wrote:
>
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Thanks Mike for posting the list of proposals. It's fascinating that all
> > of the discussion here on OBOL so far has focused on gulls.
> >
> > I was personally most intrigued by Ralph Browning's proposal to split
> > Nashville Warbler into Calaveras" Warbler and Rusty-capped" Warbler, and
> > his dry comment on the latter, "Although the name does not differentiate
> > it from some other species, the name Nashville is even less useful."
> >
> > For sheer fussiness, it's hard to top the proposal to change Le Conte's
> > Sparrow and Thrasher to LeConte's Sparrow and Thrasher, respectively.
> > This is surely the most momentous proposal to come before the committee
> > since the one that gave us Harris's Sparrow in place of Harris' Sparrow.
> >
> > Anyway this certainly added to the enjoyment of listening to a Nearctic
> > Creeper as it sang at Luckiamute State Natural Area this afternoon.
> >
> > Happy birding,
> > Joel
> >
> > --
> > Joel Geier