Date: 3/30/17 7:25 pm
From: Comins, Patrick via CTBirds <ctbirds...>
Subject: Re: [CT Birds] Difference between Audubon Connecticut and Connecticut Audubon Society?
I'm very sorry the site didn't work for you. I have asked for our event team to look into that. If it was for the upcoming Audubon Connecticut auction, it is indeed a legitimate auction and for a very important fundraising event we are holding in April. Proceeds from that event are critical to our conservation efforts in the state and we have some great items up for auction. Thank you for your interest in supporting a good cause for birds!

As to the difference between the two Audubon Societies, it is a bit of a long story:

There are two statewide Audubon Groups in Connecticut. Audubon Connecticut is the state office of the National Audubon Society. That is who I work for. The Connecticut Audubon Society is one of the oldest independent state Audubon groups in the country, older than the National Audubon Society. Connecticut is about the only place where there is both a strong state presence for the National Audubon Society and a vibrant, independent statewide Audubon society. When National Audubon formed, there were several northeastern states that wanted to remain independent, including Connecticut, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, New Jersey, Maine and New Hampshire. In most cases, National did not ever gain much of a presence in those states. However, In Connecticut, there are strong chapters of the National Audubon Society as well and Audubon came to have extensive holdings, including some of the oldest nature education centers in our network (in Greenwich and Sharon) and more than 4,000 acres of land. Because of this history and at the request of our chapters, a state office of Audubon was formed here.

Both groups do excellent work and there is more than enough to be done in this state to conserve birds and educate people about these wonderful creatures that the two organizations get along great. We work together extensively, most visibly through the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds, where we partner with the Roger Tory Peterson Institute of Natural History (RTPI) to conserve coastal waterbirds and the places most important for them along our coastline. Both Audubons are highly rated charities (as is RTPI).

Now, just to make a long story even longer. There are other Audubons in Connecticut. The Hartford Audubon Society is also independent and not affiliated with Audubon Connecticut nor the Connecticut Audubon Society. They are another great group, of which I am a life member. There are also local chapters, which are affiliated with the National Audubon Society, but also are independent organizations. Included among these are the Menunkatuck Audubon Society. the Potapaug Audubon Society, the Mattabeseck Audubon Society, The Litchfield Hills Audubon Society, The Naugatuck Valley Audubon Society and the Quinnipiac Valley Audubon Society.

I hope this answers your questions and I'm again sorry for the problem you had with the auction site.

Sincerely,

Patrick

Phone: (203)405-9115

Your Legacy is Audubon’s Future!