Date: 3/30/17 11:20 am
From: Kai Weatherman <dainichi...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Longfellow Wood Ducks in Iowa City
A pair of Wood Ducks has returned to the large silver maple tree in front of
742 S 7th Ave in Iowa City, first hearing them on Saint Patrick's Day, and
have seen them in the maple tree from time to time since then, once with
another female. Around 8:20 this morning the female, who is often rather
restless compared to the male, found her way into the nest cavity that was
used last year, but did not tarry there long. Soon enough both male and
female took to the air. Taking a stroll in the neighbor a short time ago, I
heard a Wood Duck flight call, looked up and saw one flying down the south
branch of Ralston Creek. When I reached the bridge on Central Avenue that
spans Ralston Creek I was delighted to hear and then observe a paddling of
nine male and three female Wood Ducks a little way north of the bridge, and
pleased that I happened to bring my compact binoculars with me on the walk.

Kai Weatherman

Iowa City