Date: 3/30/17 12:41 pm
From: Amy Lorenz <alorenz...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Upcoming Event: iNaturalist City Nature Challenge
Hello all!

I wanted to spread the word about an exciting upcoming event we would love
birders to join! We The Boston City Nature Challenge
<http://www.neosec.dreamhosters.com/cnc-2017-boston/> (CNC) is a 5-day
citizen science competition among 16 cities across the country to see which
metropolitan areas can document the most biodiversity between *April 14-18,
2017*. We will be covering all taxa from microorganisms to plants to
whales, and with your help we hope to have great observations of birds.

Please see *full details below* on how to get involved - by contributing on
your own, leading a walk, or helping ID observations during and after the
event.

Feel free to email me with any questions!

Best,
Amy Lorenz
Encyclopedia of Life
Cambridge/Gloucester, MA

*FULL DETAILS:*

The Boston City Nature Challenge
<http://www.neosec.dreamhosters.com/cnc-2017-boston/> (CNC) taking place April
14-18, 2017! The CNC is a citizen science competition among 16 cities
across the U.S. to see which urban area can document the most species in
this 5-day period in an effort to map local biodiversity.

The Boston CNC is a large area bounded by Rt 495 to the north and west, and
extends to include important marine areas. It is being coordinated by the
New England Ocean Science Education Collaborative, Brandeis University,
Encyclopedia of Life (MCZ/Harvard), MIT, and New England Aquarium. Many
other local organizations are hosting events or are opening their locations
up as “destinations” for people to go and observe nature.

You can also join one of the many events
<http://www.neosec.dreamhosters.com/cnc-2017-boston/get-out/> being hosted
or simply contribute on your own by sharing photos or sounds of the plants,
animals, fungi and microorganisms you see anywhere in the CNC Boston area
with the iNaturalist app
<https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/inaturalist/id421397028?mt=8>. All you
need is a smartphone and a sense of adventure!

Learn how to use iNaturalist here
<http://www.neosec.dreamhosters.com/cnc-2017-boston/join-and-train-on-inaturalist-org/>
or
go directly to the iNat CNC Boston Project
<http://www.inaturalist.org/projects/city-nature-challenge-2017-boston-area>.
We are hosting a Boston CNC/iNaturalist Webinar this afternoon, March 30th
at 3:30 PM ET (see details below), but will also record the webinar and
share it on CNC websites.

If you can lead a nature walk in your community or help with identification
of observations, please fill out this form
<https://docs.google.com/a/eol.org/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeWK-lcSBDsQ5vrwEE4hSgwlljZYH6Mic9xwcLw45feTclAmA/viewform?usp=sf_link>.
We need your help!

This is an incredible opportunity to bring science outside of the classroom
and identify the species that make up your local ecosystems. And, help the
Boston CNC win!

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Kind regards,

Amy Lorenz and the Boston City Nature Challenge Team

Webinar Information

Earthwatch Institute is hosting a scheduled Zoom meeting for our webinar:

-

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://zoom.us/j/137222288
-

Or iPhone one-tap (US Toll): +16465588656 <(646)%20558-8656>,137222288#
or +14086380968 <(408)%20638-0968>,137222288#
-

Or Telephone:

Dial: +1 646 558 8656 <(646)%20558-8656> (US Toll) or +1 408 638 0968
<(408)%20638-0968> (US Toll)

Meeting ID: 137 222 288

--
Amy Lorenz