Date: 3/30/17 11:04 am
From: Mike Unger <unger730...>
Subject: [obol] SAS Shorts: Cascades Gateway Park Bird Walk Report
*SAS SHORTS: CASCADES GATEWAY PARK BIRD WALK SUMMARY*

*March 29, 2017*

Hello Birders:

On Wednesday afternoon, Fred led our SAS Shorts bird walk to Cascades
Gateway Park. It was a nice afternoon with no rain but it was quite
windy. Twelve (12) birders including some new participants joined Fred for
the walk. It was 55 degrees during the walk. We walked around Walter
Wirth Lake which was about a one mile walk. There was some water over the
trail on the northeast portion of the lake. We identified (saw or heard)
29 species.

Most notable sightings:

· One sub-adult and one adult *Bald Eagle *were seen early during the
walk;

· One *Belted Kingfisher* gave its rattle call as it flew by on the east
side of the lake;

· We saw three woodpecker species including *Northern Flickers*, a
*Red-breasted
Sapsucker *and female *Downy Woodpecker*;

· Two other sightings were an *Osprey* and a *Turkey Vulture*; and

· There were not many ducks on the lake. We only saw *Mallards* and *Lesser
Scaup*. We also did not observe any scrub-jays or crows which was unusual.

A complete list of today's birds follows. Our next SAS field trip will be
at Minto-Brown Island Park on *Monday, April 3rd at 7:00 a.m*. Meet at
parking lot #3 at the end of Minto Island Road. The next SAS Shorts field
trip is at Fairview Wetlands on *Monday, April 24th at 5:30 p.m.* Meet in
the ODFW parking lot located at 4034 Fairview Industrial Dr. SE. Please
join us if you can.

Mike Unger

Keizer, OR

*Checklist Summary for March 29, 2017 *