Date: 3/30/17 10:34 am
From: Bird observations from western New York <geneseebirds-l...>
Subject: [GeneseeBirds-L] Spring walks - 3/29 & 28 - Durand-Eastman & Webster Park
     A couple of relatively short walks in parks near lakeshore. Some signs of spring in moving birds and spring arrivals. Yesterday at Durand both Winter Wren and a Fox Sparrow were singing in the small valley west of the barricade at the end of Wisner Road.    Day before at Webster Park we had a nice flock of Tree Swallows moving overhead. None down by the nest boxes yet; good thing.Bob Spahn, <rspahn...>

Durand-Eastman - Wisner Rd end to Log Cabin Rd, Monroe, New York, US
Mar 29, 2017 10:50 AM - 11:30 AMBob & Sue Spahn
Protocol: Traveling
0.6 mile(s)
Comments:    Parked near barrier at end of Wisner Rd. and walked down past the lakes on the closed part off Log Cabin Rd and most of the way up the next hill. Lots of bird song and chatter, especially woodpeckers.
25 species

Canada Goose  4
Mallard  4
Ring-billed Gull  5
Mourning Dove  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  7
Downy Woodpecker  8
Hairy Woodpecker  5
Northern Flicker  3
Pileated Woodpecker  1
Blue Jay  3
American Crow  4
Black-capped Chickadee  8
Tufted Titmouse  6
White-breasted Nuthatch  3
Winter Wren  1    singing
American Robin  11
Fox Sparrow  1    singing
Dark-eyed Junco  1
Song Sparrow  1
Northern Cardinal  5
Red-winged Blackbird  6
Brown-headed Cowbird  4
House Finch  2
Pine Siskin  4
American Goldfinch  4

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35529034
Webster Park--Campground area, Monroe, New York, US
Mar 28, 2017 12:45 PM - 1:45 PMBob & Sue Spahn
Protocol: Traveling
1.1 mile(s)
Comments:    Short walk in campground road, around RV loop and back to parking across from Kanatota Lodge.
19 species

Canada Goose  4
Turkey Vulture  4
Ring-billed Gull  3
Downy Woodpecker  5
Hairy Woodpecker  4
Northern Flicker  3
Blue Jay  4
American Crow  10
Tree Swallow  15    Nice flock of migrants headed west to east not far in off the lakeshore. We heard their chatter and were able to look up and count this number passing.
    By this time of year this is not unusual in areas near the lakeshore.
Black-capped Chickadee  13
Tufted Titmouse  1
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
White-breasted Nuthatch  1