Date: 3/30/17 10:43 am
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Re: BREAKING NEWS
Mr Norgren seems quite passionate on this subject...

I have read just about every actual paper on this including
the infamous exchange of buttals and rebuttals between Snell and Smith.
I do not believe that Smith faked data, but I think he relied more
heavily on the aid of locally sourced assistants than he admitted to
and I think that those who eventually peer-reviewed his work were
so enamored by the experimental design and outcomes in line with their
expectations regarding Mayrian Evolutionary Theory that they failed
in their duty to be objective and conservative (and I mean conservative
in the dictionary sense, not the oxymoronic political sense).

There is, however, more to this proposal than the he-said, he-said
tiff between Snell and Smith, including an increasingly damning body
of genetic evidence... and I've read much of that stuff as well.

Lumping Thayer's Gull will bring the AOU into line with almost every
other Ornithological Group in the world, most of those groups have been
in a splitting mood regarding many other gull species.

Now, having said all that, I can find reasons to favor any of the
competing Iceland/Thayer's scenarios and I encourage Mr Norgren to
submit his own proposal to NACC. I believe the only requirement is
membership in the AOU. The Iceland/hybrid-swarm/Thayer's hypothesis
has many champions.

And for the half-dozen or so folks on OBOL who find arguing about gulls
enlightening, I recommend they start their journey down the
Iceland/Thayer's rabbit hole at:

http://www.ofo.ca/site/page/view/articles.thayer

This page is well sourced and will provide a starting point for
collecting and examining the actual source material. It does
not include many of the more recent genetic studies which show
very little separation between Iceland/Kumlien's and Thayer's
nor any consistent geographical patterns of distribution.

A good started paper for that (and one you can get for free) can be
found at:
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7692222_Phylogenetic_relationships_within_the_Laridae_Charadriiformes_Aves_inferred_from_mitochondrial_markers

--
Mike Patterson