Date: 3/30/17 9:54 am
From: Rodger Rang <rrang...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Limberlost Area-- March 29 PM
Sandy Schacht, Marisa Windell, and I made the trip to Geneva yesterday in hopes of ticking Short-eared Owl at Limberlost Swamp.  We had a nice show of eight harriers hunting at last light, but couldn't manage any owls.  The stronger-than-forecasted winds may have been a factor.  We also missed the N. Shrike that has been frequenting the area.  But, arriving in the late afternoon, we enjoyed about three hours of birding and tallied a fair list of species.

Canada Goose
Mallard- many; a Bald Eagle put up a cloud of hundreds at one point
Blue-winged Teal
Northern Shoveler
Green-winged Teal
Ring-necked Duck- 2; Jay County
Wild Turkey- 12 in one group; some displaying males
Pied-billed Grebe
Horned Grebe- 2; Jay County
Great Blue Heron
Turkey Vulture
Bald Eagle- 2 was the most we ever saw at one time
Northern Harrier- 8 was max. count, though we encountered them throughout our stay
American Coot
Killdeer
Rock Pigeon
Mourning Dove
Belted Kingfisher- 1
Red-bellied Woodpecker- 1
Northern Flicker- 1
American Kestrel- 1
Horned Lark
Tree Swallow- 15 max. count, though we encountered low numbers often
White-breasted Nuthatch- 1
Eastern Bluebird- 2
American Robin
Brown Thrasher- 1; FOS for the ladies; I missed it
European Starling
American Tree Sparrow
Field Sparrow- 1 singing
Song Sparrow