Date: 3/29/17 10:42 pm
From: Dan Gleason <dan-gleason...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Young Golden Crowns?
When Fred Ramsey suspected a young Golden-crowned Sparrow earlier, I sent him the following information.

Breeding of Golden-crowned Sparrow anywhere in the lower 48 is almost unheard of. The breeding range is much further north, in the Yukon and central Alaska. The breeding habitat there (typically scrub-tundra and some mixed conifers) is also unlike our local habitats. Adults don't typically arrive on breeding grounds until May and egg dates are mid-May to mid-June, so this would be very early. Unlike many species, there has been no documented change in range of this species, although there is still much to learn about Golden-crowned Sparrows. To date, I only know of one study dedicated to breeding biology of this sparrow and it was published in 1987. There are some scattered summer records of Golden-crowned Sparrows in the US (outside of Alaska), even one from Florida, but these are all wandering individuals out of range, not breeding birds.

Fred's bird was not a juvenile, but a young adult still mostly in non-breeding plumage. I suspect you are seeing the same. Full adult breeding plumage is often not reached until late April.

Dan Gleason

Dan Gleason
Owner, Wild Birds Unlimited of Eugene
Ornithology Instructor, University of Oregon
<dan-gleason...>