Date: 3/29/17 4:46 pm
From: Lars Per Norgren <larspernorgren...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Roman Nose Mt. area
*

Gunsight Pass is smack dab in the middle of Prairie PEAk. As a native of Benton County it always offends me to hear the place called "mtn". I strongly encourage folks to use USGS maps for places like this. They are really good, while Google maps tend to be arbitrary, including roads and waterways of little or no significance, often making them to appear the primary features of a neighborhood. The prairie on the peak, badly encroached upon by young trees, is west of Gunsight Pass. A rat's nest of roads converge on this notch, and the right one may appear counter-intuitive: it may be necessary to drive downhill and/or easterly before getting headed uphill and traveling west.
Portland Audubon Society sponsored a field trip a few years ago to witness Eric Forsman's field work with red tree voles. This is a short distance se of Prairie Peak, accessed from near Jct. City. After several years of regular field work Eric said they were still getting lost in the system of roads on that BLM land. Not for the faint of heart. Forsman's team had just obtained software that, coupled with GPS, gave their position on USGS maps . I visited Prairie Peak for the first and likely only time in October 2015. I have yet to visit "Big Grassy", or Grass Mtn as it is officially known. A number of good bird reports have come from there in the past few years.
Lars
On Mar 29, 2017, at 4:05 PM, Linda Gilbert wrote:

> Yes, Sally Hill and I did stray into Douglas County on the Dunn Ridge Rd to Roman Nose Mt. yesterday. I wanted to go up there because I had seen MOUNTAIN QUAIL in three separate areas there last year. The spot that Sally described in her post with the 360 views was off the Siuslaw River Rd in Lane County. Cell phone coverage may have improved since Tom Mickel was working up there. I explored up toward Prairie Mt. from Hult Pond last weekend and was surprised to find Google maps working most of the time at higher elevations. It was showing me roads that weren't on the maps I had. I never did find my way to Prairie Mt. but Google told me I was at Gunsight Pass. Maybe the access to Prairie Mt. is better from the Benton County side ? Yes, do be prepared when you go to these more remote areas! Roads deteriorate, gates suddenly appear and it's very easy to get lost.
> Linda Gilbert
> Eugene

Join us on Facebook!