Date: 3/29/17 7:22 am
From: David Moulton, Bethesda, MD <moulton.davidh...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Notes from the field
On Tuesday, March 28, 2017 at 12:58:30 PM UTC-4, Tyler Bell wrote:
> Yesterday, on my way home southbound across the Solomons bridge (southern Calvert), I saw something I never would have believed. Two Northern Gannets were flying around upriver of the bridge and actually flew up and over the bridge heading south. I had always thought that the bridge was a physical barrier that would prevent them from ranging further upriver. When I worked at Jefferson Patterson Park & Museum, I watched the river during NOGA migration hoping to add one to the park list. After 10 years there, it never happened. I wonder if either of the two intrepid NOGAs went as far upriver as JPPM yesterday?
>

> Today, while doing field work in Edgewater (Anne Arundel), I was scouting out a weir that I rarely visit. I noticed a lot of whitewash in a barn right off the road so popped my head in. I didn't see any pale faces staring down at me so focused on getting some doc photos of some Boxelder Bugs inside the barn. When I was just about ready to leave, I looked up again and saw an owl. Barn Owl? Wrong. Barred Owl!
>

> Eastern Towhees and Chipping Sparrows were singing all over the place. The chippies were definitely not around last week. Nice to see/hear them again :)
>

> Tyler <Belljtyle......>
> California, Maryland

Last April, I had a Northern Gannet sitting on the water off of Sotterley Plantation. So I'm pretty sure Tyler would have spotted that bird too if he were still at Jeff Patterson! Mine is still the most northerly Patuxent River report on eBird, but it does appear that when conditions are right, gannets are hopping right over the Solomons Bridge and wandering up river.