Date: 3/29/17 5:37 am
From: Treesa Hertzel <Autumn207...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Oregon's listserv
OBOL currently has 1411 subscribers.

People leave and join every day, but the joiners always outnumber the leavers, so our total number steadily rises.

Treesa Hertzel
Moderator

On Mar 28, 2017, at 11:28 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

As usual, Paul's comment is well considered, contrapuntal and timely. This leads me to ask a question I've long considered. Our moderator has stated that OBOL has about 1200 members. Seems like a lot. It would be straightforward to tally either approximately or precisely the number of posts per individual members using the archives. But ive long wondered how many members find it worthwhile to actually read obol on a regular basis............. Hmmmmm?

Bob obrien

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017, Paul Sullivan <paultsullivan@onlinenwoe:
While I am a frequent contributor to this list and while I regularly consult it to see what birds are being reported, I am not totally in love with OBOL. I find it refreshing to go off to the far side of the state, birding, and get away from the chatter every now and then.

I’ve seen a goodly number of Oregon birders drop off the radar since OBOL became the main channel of communication. I meet people In the field who don’t look at it. I hear people say it’s “too much” or “they sure do get off on _____ (threads).”

-- there are voices that are gruff
-- there are voices that are verbose
-- there are voices that are know-it-all

Those modes aren’t helpful.
Folks who are on the inside should beware of self-congratulation. Yes, those who are “in” like it, but we don’t hear from those who “left.” OBOL does not comprise the whole of Oregon birders/bird enthusiasts.

I like James Billstine’s Haiku, a cautionary note.
Paul Sullivan

POST: Send your post to <obol...>
Contact moderator: <obol-moderators...>

Join us on Facebook!