Date: 3/28/17 7:24 pm
From: Brandon Caswell <brandon.caswell83...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Swan Lake/Sand Point area this AM
Birders,

Dean Hester and I had a diverse list walking from the new Sand Point
parking lot and back.

Notables:
-singing Winter and Carolina Wrens at the old Sand Point parking lot
-singing Field Sparrow at old Sand Point parking lot
-continuing Long-billed Dowitcher (by date) east of Sand Point
-Wilson's Snipe, Baird's and Pectoral Sandpipers, and both yellowlegs
(there were presumably hundreds of yellowlegs in the NE corner of the "big
pool", which can be viewed at various spots along the Highway 965 bridge
area, between the intersection of Amana Road and the bridge, look west)
-Snow Geese at Swan Lake (I also had flyovers on my way south this AM and
saw flyovers this PM on my way back to Marion)

-ALSO, we ended up tracking a coyote out to the end of the point and sure
enough it sprang out and ran closely around us
-we found a flake too (Native American cultural object...the trained
archaeology in me!); I've found flakes while birding at Cone Marsh, Otter
Creek, and Hawkeye WMA to name a few places

Good birding,
Brandon Caswell
Marion