Date: 3/28/17 6:47 pm
From: Wilkins, Vern W <vwilkins...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Loon ID
Just wondering if anyone could help me with this ID, given the recent sighting of Red-throated Loon at Lake Monroe - Fairfax SRA. These photos are from Fairfax this evening. The bird was incredibly distant and in poor light. There were Common Loons nearby for comparison, but the birds were not interacting. I thought it was a candidate for Red-throated.

The bill appeared to be thin and the bird definitely tended to hold it up at an angle. The facial pattern and neck also seemed to fit reasonably well with Red-throated (a bird I have no experience with), but the distance was just too great. I scoped the bird for a long time, but still didn't have a great view.

Anyway, since all I have to go on is field guides, either way, I'd appreciate it if anyone could offer any advice as to what would or wouldn't be clearly evident in a Red-throated Loon at this time of year, compared to what is or isn't visible in the photos. I uploaded full resolution photos, but due to the distance, you'll have to zoom in to at least 200% to see much of anything. I thought photo 7167 was the most Red-throated like.

https://iu.box.com/s/bdg0vcf6sp0e5ixm1yplbl37zonx4c1k

Thanks,
Vern

Join us on Facebook!