Date: 3/28/17 6:28 pm
From: Paul Peterson <petersonpaul63...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Burrage Pond Highlights
I covered all the wetlands and ponds except the one way in the back that is next to a cranberry bog. This is how I got my duck counts. I birded from 1:30-6:08. I noticed the SANDHILL CRANES just as I was about to leave. This was at 6:00 p.m. They were seen from the first opening of Burrage Pond, opposite a wide path. They were almost straight out from there, but a bit to the left, and way out. They were foraging in the marshy area. I had the male BLUE-WINGED TEAL from this same spot, but much closer in, associating with some Green-winged Teal. They got spooked and flew further back and to the right. He occasionally was still visible, moving in and out of view.

Great Blue Heron 8
Mute Swan 25
BLUE-WINGED TEAL 1 ad. male
Green-winged Teal 14
Wood Duck 6
RING-NECKED DUCK 275 all six ponds I checked had them (Burrage, marshy pond, and cluster of four)
Hooded Merganser 13
Bufflehead 6
Northern Harrier 3 2 imm. ,I ad. fem.
Red-shouldered Hawk 1
Red-tailed Hawk 2
WILSON'S SNIPE 9 flew off as a group from the pond, calling. Crossed over path in front of me near spot where I saw Blue-winged Teal and Sandhill Cranes.
SANDHILL CRANE 2 seen only at 6:00p.m., after one had called. I don't know if they had just arrived from E. Bridgewater or not
DEAD EASTERN SCREECH OWL 1 roadside near police station, SAD! (house numbered 875, I believe)
Fish Crow 2
Horned Lark 20 flyover at a cranberry bog

Paul Peterson
<petersonpaul63...>
Boston

Join us on Facebook!