Date: 3/28/17 12:52 pm
From: Dennis Thompson <cndthomps...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Kellerton visit
The Armstrongs and I made our annual visit to the prairie chicken lek at
Kellerton in Ringgold County. We started off near their home with AMERICAN
WOODCOCK and EASTERN SCREEH-OWL at Badger Creek Lake. Shortly after, two
NORTHERN BOBWHITE flew in front of the car. Once we got to Kellerton
Grasslands, 17 male GREATER PRAIRIE-CHICKENS and at least 6 hens were at the
lek. A LOGGGERHEAD SHRIKE was just south of Highway 2 on the lek road
(300th Ave). While heading back on Highway 2, a PEREGRINE FALCON flew
overhead. Despite the dreary weather, it was a good outing.

Closer to home, an OSPREY has returned to a cell tower at NW Beaver Drive
and the entrance road to Saylorville Dam.

Denny Thompson

Johnston