Date: 3/27/17 3:07 pm
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (26 Mar 2017) 14 Raptors
The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 26, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 6 64 64
Osprey 2 6 6
Bald Eagle 0 17 17
Northern Harrier 0 7 7
Sharp-shinned Hawk 2 70 70
Cooper's Hawk 0 16 16
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 0 23 23
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 3 86 86
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 1 5 5
Merlin 0 1 1
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 14 295 295

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Gary Stolz, Jean-Marie Gauthier, Kathleen Pileggi

Visitors:
THE SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (12): Gwen Lacy (and TLC group of 8), Gary Stolz, Jean-Marie
Gauthier, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Cloudy (100% cloud cover), Temps 42-46F, Winds ESE 10-20 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 6-Red-tailed Hawk, and
numerous Black (30) and Turkey Vultures (60).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ Winter returned today after a one day hiatus. Jean-Marie
came out to join me. Where were you yesterday, Jean-Marie, when it was
warm and the hawks were on the move?
A very close Osprey broke the doldrums. Gwen & Gary came by with a group
from The Land Conservancy. Then a few Sharpies, a couple of Ospreys and
Red-tails, came by. Today stood in stark contrast of yesterday. I’ll take
yesterday….
In my previous blog, I forgot to mention that on Saturday’s “Wine & Cheese
Evening with the Woodcocks” trip, we saw at least three Woodcocks
performing their courtship flights, over and over. While on Marsh Creek
Lake, there were many Bufflehead and three Common Loons.
Thanks Kathleen, for preparing a wonderful and impressive spread that
evening…Robin’s Velveeta, notwithstanding! Robin just gave me a bird shirt
she purchased while in Florida, recently. After reading yesterday’s blog,
doubtless she’ll be wanting that back…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 15-Ring-billed Gull, 2-Eastern
Towhee, 1-Fox Sparrow, 12-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0):; Reptiles &
Amphibians (1): Spring Peeper. Mammals (1): Eastern Gray Squirrel.
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 1.86; Steps: 4,369; Floors: 7.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season: 73
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow’s flight looks like yet another soggy one. <BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: