Date: 3/27/17 11:31 am
From: Jim Felley <jdfelley...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Tidal Basin and Lincoln Monument birds, 3/27
A lunchtime walk around the Tidal Basin and Constitution Gardens produced a lot of cherry blossoms (a much better display than I had expected given the dismal local new projections) and the following highlights:
Tidal Basin:
Chipping Sparrows with Juncos near the Jefferson Memorial
A large flock of Buffleheads in the middle of the Basin (along with some Lesser Scaup)
A few Horned Grebes in various stages of molt by the MLK Memorial side of the Basin

Around the DC Veteran's Memorial:
Many American Robins and Common Grackles, and a few Dark-eyed Juncos

Around Constitution Gardens:
An Eastern Phoebe
The same ducks that I have been seeing since January, notably Ring-necked ducks, Lesser Scaup, a couple of Buffleheads and still several Northern Shovellers. I did not find the Gadwall and American Wigeons I had found in earlier visits.
Canada geese and Mallards, of course.

So early Spring migrants are coming in

Jim

Jim Felley