Date: 3/27/17 11:24 am
From: Holly Merker <0000002d9b0d8554-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Marsh Creek SP, Chester Co. 3/27/17
PA Birders,

I noticed that Billy Weber posted about a nice waterfowl fallout at Leaser Lake. Here in Chester Co., Marsh Creek lake was host to some similar species fallouts, which Mike Hartshorne and I witnessed this morning. Billy's comments about the Redheads up there being mostly hen-types is the same gender diversity we saw at Marsh Creek (5 drakes, 16 hen-types).

We also had a cluster of Bonaparte's Gulls visiting, which grew in size to 14 by noon.

For those interested, Marsh Creek is birded regularly, and most reports are posted on eBird :http://ebird.org/ebird/hotspot/L272015
This hotspot is for the main entrance to the park (Park Rd). There are separate hotspots for other spots in this area.

My morning eBird checklist:

Marsh Creek SP, Chester, Pennsylvania, US
Mar 27, 2017 9:17 AM - 10:44 AM
Protocol: Traveling
1.0 mile(s)
Comments: 46 with calm winds, haze, and some fog. Checking lake just after heavy rain.
52 species (+1 other taxa)

Canada Goose 2
Gadwall 4
American Wigeon 4
American Black Duck 4
Mallard 8
Blue-winged Teal 1 Drake continues
Northern Shoveler 1 Drake
Green-winged Teal 14
Redhead 21 5 drakes 21 brown . Dropped into main body of lake while MH was in lot
Ring-necked Duck 8
Greater Scaup 1 Hen
Lesser Scaup 1 Drake
Bufflehead 6
Hooded Merganser 10
Common Merganser 9
Red-breasted Merganser 2 Two hen types with classic black-eyed appearance and shaggy crests. Bad scoped pics
Ruddy Duck 24
Common Loon 3
Pied-billed Grebe 2
Horned Grebe 8
Great Blue Heron 2
Red-tailed Hawk 1
American Coot 65 Continuing group
Pectoral Sandpiper 1 Continuing. Photos by MH yesterday. Back Cove
Bonaparte's Gull 9 All in winter plumage. Fall out from earlier storm. Will embed photos
Herring Gull 1 Adult
Mourning Dove 2
Belted Kingfisher 2
Red-bellied Woodpecker 2
Downy Woodpecker 2
Northern Flicker 1
Pileated Woodpecker 1
Eastern Phoebe 2
Blue Jay 2
American Crow 3
crow sp. 2
Tree Swallow 30 Conservative estimate
Carolina Chickadee 3
Tufted Titmouse 2
White-breasted Nuthatch 1
Golden-crowned Kinglet 3
American Robin 35 Conservative estimate
Northern Mockingbird 1
Chipping Sparrow 3 My first of 2017. Brightly plumaged
Dark-eyed Junco 4
White-throated Sparrow 4
Song Sparrow 50 Conservative estimate
Northern Cardinal 3
Red-winged Blackbird 40 Conservative estimate
Common Grackle 15
Brown-headed Cowbird 5
House Finch 1
House Sparrow 1 Not good. Near boxes at entrance of park

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/checklist/S35467468

~Holly Merker
Downingtown, Chester Co

Join us on Facebook!