Date: 3/27/17 5:04 am
From: <susan...>
Subject: RE: Mallards
Gretchen and All,

No-- these are locals for sure. They roam quite a ways from water at
this time of year while looking for nesting sites. And they are pretty
faithful to areas they frequent from Spring to Spring.

Furthermore,excessive loitering pairs or drakes is usually an indicator
that the hen is laying some place close by. She will lay an egg a day
in the morning until her clutch of 12-15 eggs is complete. And then she
will incubate pretty much non-stop all day. She will cover the eggs
late in the day and go off to feed at night. If you are watching at
first light you will see her fly in and quickly walk back in to the
nest. Interestingly, her mate may spend much of the day nearby when she
begins to incubate, waiting for her to come out to feed.

I do miss the breeding Mallards I had back in Whispering Pines.....

Susan Campbell
Southern Pines, NC

Join us on Facebook!