Date: 3/27/17 4:48 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve (25 Mar 2017) 88 Raptors
The Southern Chester County Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, USA
Daily Raptor Counts: Mar 25, 2017

Black Vulture 0 0 0
Turkey Vulture 22 58 58
Osprey 1 4 4
Bald Eagle 4 17 17
Northern Harrier 0 7 7
Sharp-shinned Hawk 17 68 68
Cooper's Hawk 8 16 16
Northern Goshawk 0 0 0
Red-shouldered Hawk 18 23 23
Broad-winged Hawk 0 0 0
Red-tailed Hawk 18 83 83
Rough-legged Hawk 0 0 0
Golden Eagle 0 0 0
American Kestrel 0 4 4
Merlin 0 1 1
Peregrine Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Accipiter 0 0 0
Unknown Buteo 0 0 0
Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 88 281 281

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 14:00:00
Total observation time: 6 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi, Rodger Bovenkerk

Visitors:
THE SOUTHERN CHESTER COUNTY SPRING HAWK WATCH AT BUCKTOE CREEK PRESERVE
<BR><BR>
Visitors (7): Rodger Bovenkerk, Beaty Broughton, Lana Glass, Anita
Regester, Carol Spease, Kathleen Pileggi
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (70-100% cloud cover), Temps 56-70F, Winds SW 5-10 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (35) and Turkey Vultures (50).
<BR><BR>
----Bald Eagle ages: 1 yr.-1; 2 yr.-0; 3 yr.-1; 4 yr.-0; adult-2
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ A Spring day…how did that get in the mix here this month
with the horrible weather? We’ll take it, though. Early on, a group of
gulls fly over, hungrily heading towards SECCRA Landfill… But really, does
a gull head anywhere in a way other than hungrily? A phoebe’s call reaches
my ear from down where one was before the storm! Could it be our MIA
Phoebe survived the storm?? I say it IS – and it’s MY STORY.
The Gulls continue streaming over, presumably from the Delaware River.
With predators like foxes around, gulls roost on water – foxes, wily or
not, won’t swim out to eat them. Absent a large body of water near the
SECCRA Landfill, the birds head towards the River to roost with safety -
making the return trip to feed on “fresh garbage” each day. At the
landfill in the northern part of the County, the gulls roost on Struble
Lake. Not here. I’m still waiting for the gull to discover he can take
Sunday off, save the trip, as the dump is closed that day. Now, THAT would
be a smart gull! And there’s apparently nothing worse for a gull than
“stale trash.”
A Barred Owl called at 10:40am. Shortly after 11am, an Osprey streamed
over. What a majestic bird.
Next came a Red-shouldered. In fact, several Red-shoulders- then more.
Rodger brought great luck….the hawks were flying, now. Full-partial credit
to you, Rodger – grab yourself a celebratory pretzel from our boxl! All
Hell broke lose! The Red-shouldered Hawks continued coming by – in all,
Eighteen, through the remainder of the day. The clouds today provided a
perfect background to see them, too. Wow!!
Today was the day that our local Field Sparrows broke into song to
establish territories. They were so obvious today.
Anita showed up with my new bulletin boards. I had asked her to print some
thinks on it for me with her incredible handwriting. She DID NOT
disappoint. Great Job, Anita!!
Tonight we had our “Wine & Cheese Evening with the Woodcocks” – and it was
full. Fourteen of us enjoyed the trip up to Marsh Creek to sample several
wines, local cheeses, crackers, and apples. My friend, wine expert and
maker Tom Zunino, couldn’t make it. Drats, I needed his expertise to tell
me whether I liked the wines or not…lol. All wines were fully enjoyed,
though. Now, could it be that I was just in association with a bunch of
raging alcoholics or wine-os? Might they all have been equally happy with
my Mad Dog (I did have that available for “discriminating tastes!” as a
JOKE, Robin) or Ripple? Sure, it could be…but everyone had a great time
enjoying nature, waterfowl, the Woodcocks’ performances and the sampling of
the wines, cheeses, crackers and apples. Robin even broke into the
Velveeta Cheese! That was there as a joke, Robin! You know, Wine & Cheese
event….Mad Dog 20/20 and Velveeta Cheese….nothing but the best for you
folks, my clients!! A JOKE – visual sarcasm!!! (I always have fine wines
and cheeses actually available for the groups on these events). You would
not be deterred away from Velveeta to our classier fare. You went right
for “the good stuff!” Robin actually ate it, without comment. I have two.
She used my cheese slicer to slice the lengthy block of Velveeta longwise.
I’ve NEVER seen that before. When I say this Robin, I mean it: I have
NEVER seen anyone “cut the cheese” like YOU do. Honestly, Robin! And I
thought I’d have that block of Velveeta forever and the joke would live
on…..I was wrong. Thanks Robin. We’ll do another wine & cheese event next
month – “Wine & Cheese Evening with the Whip-poor-wills.”
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to the
Brokaws, for their incredible support and gracious generosity in opening
their property to the public for this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 2-Wood Duck, 1-Killdeer, 45-Ring-billed
Gull, 13-Herring Gull, 1-Barred Owl, 1-Belted Kingfisher, 1-Fox Sparrow,
7-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 5.9; Steps: 13,842; Floors: 9.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 47; this season: 73
<BR><BR>
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow the winter returns....darn it!
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day thru April 30, 9am thru 3pm (at
least). Rain or shine…. but not snow or ice…
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by ... well,
sponsored by nobody at the moment (which, I guess, means it’s being
sponsored by me, for now, right folks?), although in the past sponsored,
alternately and personally very appreciatively, by the Delaware Nature
Society & The Land Conservancy for Southern Chester County. and certainly
the Brokaw family. Please contact us at <earlybirdtours...> with
questions or comments.

Site Description:
High open meadow near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site: