Date: 3/27/17 2:11 am
Subject: Mallards
Last year I had a fairly frequent female mallard visitor to the yard who
would be accompanied at times by a drake. They would hang around for an
hour or so for some food and water, and then take flight.

I attributed their appearance as being domesticated escapees as I do not
have a pond or any water to speak of and my neighborhood is a very
suburban, populated area outside of downtown Wilmington.

Yesterday afternoon while out in the garden I turned around and there they
were!

Could these be actual 'wild' mallards? I didn't notice yesterday whether
they flew in or waddled down the driveway. I'm curious as to whether this
is a fairly normal occurrence.

Gretchen
Wilmington, NC

Join us on Facebook!