Date: 3/26/17 10:32 pm
From: Richard <birdertoo...> [cobirders] <cobirders-noreply...>
Subject: [cobirders] Non uncommon bird report from Rocky Mountain Arsenal, First Creek Trail & DIA Owl Loop
Hello cobirders;

Temperatures briefly reached 55 degrees today. Winds at 5-6 mph with gusts to 9 mph made it feel cold.

After driving 2200 miles last week, I needed to stretch my legs today. I walked to the Rod & Gun Club Pond at Rocky Mountain Arsenal (Adams County) without finding any uncommon birds.

A drive along the Bison Auto Tour did not find my target bird. Two adults who had three fledglings last year have not returned, yet?

Then I walked outside the east side of the Rocky Mountain Arsenal Buckley Road to 88th Avenue), returned and continued along the First Creek Trail to Tower Road (Denver County).

Again, I missed an adult pair of birds that had one fledgling last year. They also have not returned, yet? No Burrowing Owls were found (Adams/Denver Counties).

A Say's Phoebe was just north of the 56th Avenue Bridge. Sixteen White-crowned Sparrows and forty+ House Sparrows were in the brush pile northwest of the bridge. If the Harris's Sparrow that wintered there was still around, it did not make an appearance.

A Great Horned Owl was perched north of First Creek and the brush pile. A few Mallards and three Killdeer searched for food in the slow moving stream.

Later, two Burrowing Owls stood on mounds at the prairie dog village at Third Creek and West Cargo Road. No Short-eared Owls were found while I sat and watched the 88th avenue and Powhaton Road section of the DIA Owl Loop.

I put a few photos of the Say's Phoebe & Great Horned Owl on the "Recent & Favorite Photos" link, Colorado Birding Society's Photo library
http://coloradobirdingsociety.net

Continued Good Birding!

Richard Stevens; Director, Colorado Birding Society
Denver, Colorado
Contact CoBus/Report Interesting Birds: 303-324-7994
Subscribe to "cobirders" by sending blank email to:
<cobirders-subscribe...>
Read "cobirders" at: