Date: 3/26/17 5:29 pm
From: DAVID KOCH <davilene...>
Subject: Vulture "behavior," Koch property, Northampton County
In mid-morning today seven turkey vultures were lined up but spread out in the treeline along a creek on the east side of our property. Although we're bordered by preserved open land on three sides of our farm, on the other side of that creek there are four really big homes in a gated development. As I looked at the vultures suddenly two of them flew over to the roof of one of these homes, whereupon I saw a third vulture sitting on the edge of the roof. Then the two arrivals jostled a bit and one of them mounted and copulated with the one that had already been there. I admit I started laughing because of where this occurred. Guess gates can keep humans out but it can't stop the vultures. Also, today the green pheasant was back in the yard, eating the white millet and cracked corn on the ground and a rock in the backyard feeding area. Then later a female turkey showed up and ate at the same place. And while she was eating a tom turkey with his bluish head bright and shiny suddenly walked out from under the deck and made his way toward the female. I didn't see anything happen with them, but they left together. It's that time of the year!Fox sparrows are still around, as are newly arrived chipping sparrows, and continuing field, song, white-throated, and white-crowned sparrows.

Arlene Koch Easton, PA Northampton County <davilene...>

Join us on Facebook!