Date: 3/26/17 5:29 pm
From: Candace H <candace69001...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Mt. Sterling Wetlands, etc.
This morning on the wetlands west of Mt. Sterling, Iowa:

14 Trumpeter Swans

140 Greater-white Fronted Geese

Handful of Snow Geese

Mallards

Canada Geese

Lots of Green-winged Teal

5 Am. White Pelican (FOY)

4 Wilson Snipe

Killdeer

Bald Eagle (1 sitting in nest; 1 other mature bird circling over water; 1
juvenile soaring)

Northern Shovelers

Red-winged Blackbirds

2 Great Blue Herons

Noticeably absent: Eastern Meadowlark

Drove west to catch Jersey Road to go South and saw 3 Eastern Bluebirds.

Lake Sugema (seen from the access road off of Hwy 2) was really devoid of
birds surprisingly.

At our place in Bentonsport, this morning we were awakened by our resident
Carolina Wren and a FOY Eastern Phoebe. The Turkey Vultures were also having
fun riding the wind currents above.

Mark and I just got home from Colorado and Nebraska where our best birds
observed were a Mountain Bluebird at Marble, CO; a Ferruginous Hawk and
Sandhill Cranes (of course) in Nebraska. On our quick drive home across Iowa
on Saturday (March 18th) we saw Bald Eagles on two nests (one right outside
of Percival and one right outside of Shenandoah). On the body of water just
west of Shenandoah on Hwy 2 we saw a nice mix of ducks, including FOY Ruddy
Duck, Shovelers, Green-winged Teal, and two coyotes out hunting at the edge
of the water-it was about 4:15 p.m. We thought it was odd that the coyotes
were out that early. The birds seem unconcerned by them.

Candace Havely

Waterloo, IA/Bentonsport, IA

Black Hawk & Van Buren Counties