Date: 3/26/17 4:44 pm
From: Jeff McCoy <jeffmccoy...>
Subject: [IN-BIRD-L] Lakefront 25 Mar - Smith's Longspur, Short-eared Owls, Harlan's Hawk
Saturday March 25th, 2017

Beverly Shores- Lakewatch from under Lakeview shelter waiting out steady rain then slow drive down Beverly Dr. with Brendan Grube.
Canada Goose 25+
Wood Duck 7
Mallard 30+
Blue-winged Teal 4
Northern Shoveler 14
Green-winged Teal 9
Ring-necked Duck 5
Greater Scaup 12
Lesser Scaup 80+
Bufflehead 27
Hooded Merganser 2
Red-breasted Merganser 43
Red-throated Loon 3
Common Loon 1
Horned Grebe 6
Red-tailed Hawk 2
Ring-billed Gull 40+
Caspian Tern 1 (FOS)
Belted Kingfisher 1
Eastern Phoebe 1
Blue Jay 17
Tree Swallow 30+
American Robin 25+
Yellow-rumped Warbler 1
American Tree Sparrow 15+
Chipping Sparrow 2 (FOS)
Field Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 20+
Swamp Sparrow 3
Dark-eyed Junco 60+
Northern Cardinal 8
Red-winged Blackbird 80+
Eastern Meadowlark 2
Rusty Blackbird 2

Reynold's Creek- w/Brendan, met Kim Ehn. From first parking area on Porter CR600E south of 1500N we walked east to ditch then did a wide loop to the north.
Common Loon 4 (overhead lake-bound migrants; first for the site?)
Northern Harrier 1 (male)
Sandhill Crane 7
Killdeer 10+
Pectoral Sandpiper 60+ (migrating
flock)
SHORT-EARED OWL 3 (no winter reports here so presumed migrants)
Horned Lark 12
American Pipit 6
American Tree Sparrow 8
Savannah Sparrow 3
Song Sparrow 15+
Lapland Longspur 60+
SMITH'S LONGSPUR 1 (flushed from close range; white shoulder patches and call noted; earliest lakefront record by 18
days!; extensive matted down foxtail will be a magnet for this species in coming weeks)
Eastern Meadowlark 8
WESTERN MEADOWLARK 1 (previously reported bird singing boldly from close range at ditch)

Dunes St. Pk. Green Tower Site- While at Reynold's Creek we noticed the SE winds beginning to overtake the northerly lake breeze. Brendan and I were both thinking the same thing...hawk watch! We bolted for the tower and were greeted with birds beginning to kettle up. I called in the Brock crew and a good old fashioned hawk flight broke out (an increasingly
rare event in recent years). 128 total.
Osprey 2 (FOS)
Northern Harrier 11
Sharp-shinned Hawk 51
Cooper's Hawk 4
Red-shouldered Hawk 3
Red-tailed Hawk 44
WESTERN RED-TAILED HAWK 3 (dark morph) HARLAN'S RED-TAILED HAWK 1 (ad; dark underwing coverts and belly, dark upperparts and contrasting white tail with indistinct dark tips; no reddish tones)
Rough-legged Hawk 1 (dark morph)
American Kestrel 7
Peregrine Falcon 1 (anatum)
--