Date: 3/26/17 5:26 am
Subject: American Golden-Plover, White Pelicans, Avocets, etc - Yawkey Wildlife Center (restricted access)
During a shorebird survey at the Tom Yawkey Wildllife Center
yesterday, I saw my first American Golden-Plover for the spring. It
was in a vast mostly-drained ricefield impoundment on South Island
where there were triple digit Red Knots the week before. No Red Knots
this week, but the numbers of American Avocets, Long-billed Dowitchers
and Dunlin all in one place were very good to see. There were around
double the number of Long-billed Dowitchers versus Short-billed.
There were also 155 Black-bellied Plovers present. And a Ruddy
Turnstone walked around tasting dead and dying polychaete worms. It
consumed a couple of them. And I had a few Semipalmated Sandpipers -
kind of early but nothing about this spring would surprise me any
more.

The next impoundment down had lots of shorebirds too. Among them was
a male Wilson's Plover scampering around the mudflat.

Other nice bird sightings that Richard Wyndham and I enjoyed:
American White Pelicans, Red-cockaded Woodpeckers, Bachman's Sparrows,
scads of Seaside Sparrows, strutting Wild Turkey Toms, King Rail,
Marbled Godwit, Wood Storks, Loggerhead Shrike, Sedge Wrens, nesting
Great Egrets+ Anhingas + Night Herons, and Painted Bunting.

Driving back on North Santee River Road, we flushed a Bald Eagle and
some Turkey Vultures off a roadkill deer carcass.

Nathan Dias - Charleston, SC

Join us on Facebook!