Date: 3/25/17 8:01 pm
From: Richard Hollis <xiboia...>
Subject: [ia-bird] ICBC trip to Cone M
7 foolish people showed up, in miserable weather, to go on today’s ICBC trip to Cone Marsh, Louisa, Iowa, US 40s, rainy/misty, and windy. 8:30 AM - 1:30 PM

We ended up with 37 species. We surely would have had more had the light been better and had not the windows and optics been covered by rain on one side of the car.Snow Goose, Canada Goose, Gadwall, Mallard, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Northern Pintail, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, Ruddy Duck, Pied-billed Grebe, Horned Grebe, Double-crested Cormorant, American White Pelican, American Coot, Sandhill Crane, Killdeer, Wilson's Snipe, Herring Gull, Eurasian Collared-Dove, Mourning Dove, Great Horned Owl, Belted Kingfisher, Northern Flicker, Eastern Phoebe, Blue Jay, American Crow, Tree Swallow, American Robin, European Starling, Song Sparrow, Northern Cardinal, Red-winged Blackbird, Eastern Meadowlark, and Common Grackle.

The Sandhills are always a treat.

To me the big treat today, was when we stopped in Lone Tree at the BP station, the pleasant young woman who was working there, asked if we were bird watching and were looking for the owls. I think that may be the first time someone as asked if we were birding.

Rick Hollis

rural North Liberty, IA